photo SUPER THIN LINE 4_zps4xjugusw.png  photo ENTER 188X24_zpsan0no3qw.png  photo HOLIDAY 134X24_zpsivdh8utq.png  photo PROJECTS 118X24_zpsmt1mfnap.png  photo RECIPES 112X24_zps5kyaynje.png  photo SHOP 100X24_zpsgecoqzk4.png  photo CONTACT 134X24 SECOND_zps0icpk3so.png  photo PRESS 100X24_zpszfhijryx.png  photo SUPER20THIN20LINE204_zpsq5i2ucyd.png

February 26, 2014

our dining room table that my husband built


IMG_3325-001.JPG

Good Morning!  I’ve had several questions recently about our dining room table, so I thought I would share the details with you today.  When we moved into our current home almost 3 years ago, I sold our very out-dated, formal dining set.  It wasn’t my style at all, and I told my husband that I disliked it so much that I’d rather have an empty dining room, then bring it with us ;)  So that’s what we did.  And I knew exactly what kind of table I wanted, but wow they all had a very big price tag.  So finding a table to fit in our budget is what lead us to make our own.  So here’s how our table started…


059.JPG

068.JPG

Several really old, dirty boards that we found at a reclaimed wood lumber yard in Gonzalez, TX.  These particular planks, we were told, were once part of an old building built in the 1890's in San Antonia, TX.  Who knows if that’s true, but it sounds good, so we’ll go with it ;) 
The picture below are the boards after we washed them.  It was amazing how much better they looked just getting them clean.

002.JPG

010.JPG

024.JPG

011.JPG

The pictures above are several I took while my husband was building it.  You can also go here, here and here for a more on how this table started.  
And after several weeks, it finally looked like this...

IMG_3326-001.JPG

IMG_3323-001.JPG

IMG_3297-001.JPG

IMG_3325-001.JPG

I’m so happy with how it turned out!  He really did an amazing job.  And we saved so much money making it ourselves.  I paired it with these tufted natural linen nailhead dining chairs and love the contrast of rustic and elegance!

Have a great day!

XO

32 comments:

  1. Wow! Gorgeous! Your husband did a great job!!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome! Love that he built it. I adore it!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can he build us one?? Haha I LOVE IT. I love it more than anything you can buy....nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! He actually considered making a few more...if we only had more time :)

      Delete
  4. Amazing! I wish my hubs would get on the ball with table making! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow great job to your hubby, looks awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is beautiful - he could sell those! I would be a customer! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I've commented on it before, but I really do LOVE the table. He did an amazing job. I've asked my mom to build us a dining room table, but she was less than enthusiastic about it, so we'll see if the hubby can make it happen. We have some old barns from the 1800s on our cabin property that we want to tear down and use for something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I am unbelievably impressed with how the table turned out. It's beautiful and looks great with those chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous table! He could make furniture and sell it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank God for handy husbands! My husband is a carpenter and I know that I will have him make a dining table when we move into a house that has a dining room. He made our coffee table and it's so unique and beautiful. Love your table - I will have to show it to him!

    Morgan @ Style Oyster

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you give me an estimate of the cost for the wood and supplies as I know old, reclaimed wood can be costly. Love it, btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reclaimed wood can be expensive. I think we paid about $400 for all the wood and then the other materials were < $50. But still a huge savings compared to the $1600 or more prices we were looking at if we bought one :)

      Delete
  12. I love, love, love your table ! So much nicer than going and buying one ready made. Now it has your hand on it and your personality, so special. Love all the holes and irregular places on it. The wood grain is so gorgeous. I bet you love looking at it and sitting around it. The chairs you have with it fit perfectly in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unknown March 5, 2014 at 8:25 AM Mary Sutterby

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Becky, I love love love your table and can't believe your husband built it!! It is more beautiful than any ones I coveted in stores while looking for a new table for over a year. The color and chunkiness of it, in that pretty space, is so lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was thinking to have some good antique Dining Room Furniture for my home and some furniture for my office this is really nice post with good information thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of the nice information about the our dining room table that my husband built.Thanks for your great job .Keep it up..

    http://www.craftsmanfarmtable.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi becky. ! I am visiting from matry's. you have a beautiful blog and some amazing projects.what a gorgeous table. would love to do something like this for an outdoor covered eating area.. I'll be back to see what else you are up to!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely LOVE your table...its gorgeous!! I was curious if you knew the measurements of the table top and the measurements for the base to accommodate the top? What is your total height when it's all put together? I LOVE this so much that I really want to try and build something similar to it. What talent your husband has.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely beautiful. Very rustic looking. Exactly what I'm looking for. Did you wash the boards first and then sand? About what size wood is the top made from and did you stain and varnish it? Tell your hubby he did a wonderful job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I hope you come back to find my reply since I unfortunately can't reply via email to anonymous comments. But here is some info: We did wash the boards when we got them and scrubbed them pretty well with a scrub brush to get all the gunk off. Then we let them dry for a few days. We sanded them A LOT to get all the loose wood off and so there would be no splinters. The top boards are 2x8s that he joined with biscuits. We did stain it and put many of coats of Polyurethane which allows us to wipe it and put drinks on it, etc. It has held up so well. Hope all this helps and makes since. And thanks again for your kind comment...I will pass it on to my husband :)

      Delete
  20. now, I want to have a husband who can also make reclaimed wood dining table and other home furniture :) great job for your husband

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing this kind of article.
    Keep posting. I like your blog.
    Dining Room Furniture

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you sharing this interesting blog with lot and lot of important things about wooden table.
    Outdoor Furniture India
    Wholesale Furniture Shops In Chennai
    Wooden Outdoor Furniture

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome designs. One of the nice information about new designs of dining room table.
    https://chahyay.com/

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts with me!